Alan Winde is not yet able to file criminal charges in the Albert Fritz sexual assault scandal
Alan Winde, Premier of the Western Cape.
- Western Cape Premier Alan Winde said an independent investigator has yet to be appointed to investigate allegations of sexual misconduct against suspended Community Safety MEC Albert Fritz.
- In a statement, Winde first said the allegations were first brought to its attention by “a third party” informally on November 23, 2021.
- He called on news agencies not to publish the names of complainants.
Western Cape Premier Alan Winde has said he is ‘currently’ unable to bring criminal charges in the sexual assault scandal involving suspended community safety MEC Albert Fritz.
However, Winde believed he could not rule out criminal charges if the investigation resulted in advice that it was necessary or appropriate for him to do so.
“I am being assisted by the Western Cape Government’s Legal Services Unit, who have approached the State Attorney, asking him to appoint an independent legal adviser to carry out an external investigation into the veracity of the allegations made against Minister Albert Fritz.
“We are currently awaiting confirmation from the state attorney on the instruction, which we hope to receive shortly. I will provide details of the named person once confirmed,” he said.
READ | Four senior officials suspended for involvement in Albert Fritz sex scandal – sources
Winde said the allegations were first brought to his attention by “a third party” informally on November 23, 2021.
“I immediately requested statements from those directly involved in order to be able to act. Since that date, I have ensured that the complainants were treated with diligence and empathy and that no pressure was exerted on them, noting the nature of their complaints.
“Earlier this month, I was advised that the plaintiffs were now ready to deliver their affidavits. I met with them 11 days ago, accepted their accounts and consulted with Legal Services on next steps to In the meantime, other people have indicated they also want to come forward and Legal Services have deleted their accounts,” he said.
Suspended: Western Cape MEC for Community Safety Albert Fritz.
After receiving legal advice, Winde said he had enough information to suspend Fritz immediately after meeting with the plaintiffs.
“Due to the seriousness of the allegations, I believe that an independent legal expert with relevant experience is in the best position to investigate these allegations and determine their veracity. I have requested that the investigation be finalized as soon as possible” , he said.
READ | Anroux Marais to replace Albert Fritz who is stepping down amid sex scandal
Winde said further details on the matter would be released once the external investigator was appointed.
He also said complainants who approached him were advised of the possibility of filing criminal charges.
Winde called on the media not to publish the complainants’ names.