Man sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for sexually abusing a girl

[ad_1]

A 53-year-old man who admitted to police sexually abusing a teenage family member was sentenced this week to life in prison without the possibility of parole after a four-day trial in the 137th District Court.

Lucio Delossantos-Narvaez faces 25 years in prison to life without the possibility of parole after jurors returned to the 137th District Court on Thursday with their verdict finding him guilty of continuing child sexual abuse. They also convicted him of indecency with a child through sexual contact, which carries a sentence of two to 20 years in prison.

To prove the charge of continuous sexual abuse, prosecutors had to show at least two instances of sexual abuse that occurred at least 30 days apart.

The first charge against Delossantos-Narvaez alleged four episodes of sexual abuse between April 2018 and January 2019.

Jurors deliberated for about three hours, beginning Wednesday and continuing Thursday morning, on Delossantos-Narvaez’s guilt.

Jurors deliberated for about 20 minutes before arriving at Delossantos-Narvaez’s sentence, which were the maximum sentences for each count.

Her charges stem from a Lubbock police investigation that began in 2019 after the girl’s mother caught a reflection on a TV screen in Delossantos-Narvaez groping the child.

Jurors watched Delossantos-Narvaez’s interview with Lubbock police investigators, during which he admitted to sexually abusing the girl. However, he told investigators he abused the girl from late December 2018 to January 2019.

During the trial, the girl told jurors about several instances of sexual abuse at the hands of Delossantos-Narvaez. However, she was unable to provide a specific date for when the abuse started, but she thought it was sometime after she was 8 years old, but she did not know when the first episode started.

Patti Salazar, a nurse examiner who specializes in sexual assault, told jurors the girl, now 13, told her that Delossantos-Narvaez began abusing her shortly after her 10th birthday.

Defense attorney Jesse Mendez told jurors in closing argument that his client was guilty of the second count of indecency with a child, saying the state had failed to prove the other cases of indecency. abuses were spaced 30 days apart.

“That’s where the controversy comes in,” he said. “That’s what this case is about.”

Mendez said they could not trust the girl’s testimony because she was unable to provide a specific date for the start of the abuse.

He said Salazar’s testimony about what the girl told him when she examined her in 2019 was also unreliable because of her role as a sexual assault nurse examiner.

“There is no presumption of innocence with these people,” he said. “They are paid to do this. They are one-sided, they only visit the alleged victim.”

Mendez said his client’s statement that he abused the girl between late December 2018 and January 2019 was more reliable. He said his client, a Mexican national, stayed in the country knowing he was going to be arrested because he wanted to take responsibility for his actions.

“That’s why his testimony is credible,” Mendez said.

Lubbock County Assistant District Attorney Cara Landers told jurors it was common for children to have trouble remembering their abuse.

“Sometimes children don’t want to remember what happened to them,” she said. “Sometimes they don’t want to remember when it happened to them.”

However, she said the girl’s family had provided details of the abuse which corroborated her outcry that the abuse had been going on for months.

In one episode, she recounted Delossantos-Narvaez groping her in the kitchen while the rest of her family watched movies in the living room.

Landers told jurors that Delossantos-Narvaez’s brazen actions stemmed from abusing the girl for a long time.

“That’s how you know it’s been for over 30 days,” she said.

During the punishment phase of the trial, Landers asked jurors for a life sentence for Delossantos-Narvaez, saying it was the only way to protect the community from him.

“It’s the only way to make sure it doesn’t happen again to her or any other child in Lubbock or anywhere else,” she said after the trial.

Mendez said after the trial, his client would appeal his conviction.

Landers said the jury’s verdict showed the jury’s commitment to protecting the community.

“Every time we ask a child to come forward and talk about the worst thing that’s ever happened to them and every time we have law enforcement investigating a case and doing a wonderful job of protecting our children, it’s is an honor to have to fight for justice for these victims and it’s truly an honor to have jurors in Lubbock who want to protect and who want to do the right thing and who fairly consider the evidence and return these verdicts,” she said. “We are always proud to do that.”

[ad_2]
Source link

Comments are closed.