Manchester United clarify their position on Mason Greenwood

Manchester United and England striker Mason Greenwood last played for United when he started in the 1-0 win over West Ham on January 22. However, just over a week later, he was arrested and eventually released on bail, but not before new charges were brought against him based on “Suspected of sexual assault and death threats”.

Greenwood remains suspended indefinitely as police investigate allegations of “domestic violence” and “sexual assault”which came to light after shocking social media stories were posted on ex-girlfriend Harriet Robson’s account in late January.

READ | MESSAGE FROM MAN UNITED TO GREENWOOD: DON’T COME ON MONDAY!

United reaffirmed their “strong condemnation” of violence following his arrest, although the club would still pay his full salary (which would be £75,000 a week) as the police investigation continues.

Recently, however, there has been debate on social media that his profile is still visible on the club’s website, but this month United reiterated that Greenwood’s status at the club remains unchanged. .

“There has been no change in Mason’s status,” the club said.

“We removed his profile from the club app shortly after he retired from the squad in January. This was in order to remove Mason from the interactive elements of the app, such as team predictions etc.

“However, his profile has never been removed from the website as he remains a Manchester United player, although he is not currently part of the squad while the legal proceedings unfold.”

Since the story broke, the striker has missed Man United’s embarrassing FA Cup penalty shoot-out loss to Middlesbrough, as well as eight English Premier League games and two Champions League games.

United next face Everton on Saturday as Greenwood’s absence continues to stretch beyond double digits. With just eight league games remaining for the Red Devils, it’s certain the striker won’t return this season with his career in disarray.

Greenwood has not spoken publicly since the story broke, while there has also been no word from his legal representatives either.

Once an active Instagram user, with 2.8 million followers to his name, the youngster hasn’t posted since January 25.

Here at The South African, we have sought to provide coverage every step of the way as the case unfolds, and below you can reflect on each article update.

READ | THE MASON GREENWOOD CASE IS SILENT: BUT HERE’S WHAT WE KNOW!

READ | HARRIET ROBSON SHARES FIRST MESSAGE SINCE GREENWOOD ARREST

ICYMI: FULL MASON GREENWOOD, HARRIET ROBSON CASE TIMELINE

READ | WHO IS MASON GREENWOOD? 8 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW

READ | GREENWOOD ALLEGATIONS: A LOOK AT OTHER SHOCKING SPORTS CASES

ICYMI: A LOOK AT SOCIAL MEDIA REACTION TO ROBSON, GREENWOOD CASE

READ | MASON GREENWOOD OF MANCHESTER UNITED RELEASED ON BAIL AFTER ARREST

READ | HARRIET ROBSON, MASON GREENWOOD CASE: WHO SAID WHAT SO FAR!

READ | HARRIET ROBSON EXPRESSES GRATITUDE FOR SUPPORT AFTER GREENWOOD’S ARREST

READ | MESSAGE FROM MAN UNITED TO GREENWOOD: DON’T COME ON MONDAY!

READ | MONEY FOR NOTHING! MASON GREENWOOD PAID EXTRAORDINARY SALARY DESPITE SUSPENSION

*Content Warning: This article contains graphic images and viewer discretion is advised.



Source link

Comments are closed.