MLB Fires Roberto Alomar From Consultant Post Over Allegation Of Sexual Misconduct
Major League Baseball has fired former Toronto Blue Jays second baseman and Hall of Fame member Roberto Alomar from a consulting post amid an allegation of sexual misconduct.
Commissioner Rob Manfred announced on Friday that Alomar had been placed on the MLB’s ineligible list, according to a league press release.
A commissioner’s statement said an independent investigation was conducted by an external law firm at the request of his office to investigate the allegation, which dates back to 2014 and was reported by a “baseball industry employee” earlier this year.
“After reviewing all available evidence from the now completed investigation, I have concluded that Mr. Alomar violated MLB policies and that the termination of his consulting contract and his placement on the ineligible list of the MLB are justified, ”the statement said.
“We are grateful for the courage of the person who has come forward. MLB will continue to strive to create environments in which people feel comfortable speaking out without fear of recrimination, retaliation or harm. ‘exclusion.”
WATCH | CBC Sports’ Matt Cullen details Alomar’s dismissal:
The plaintiff’s attorney released a statement later on Friday, stating that she had no plans to take further action against Alomar.
“She just wants to make sure Mr. Alomar is held accountable for his wrongdoing and hopes his actions can help Major League Baseball create a safer workplace for its employees,” the statement said.
He also expressed the woman’s support for MLB action against Alomar.
The following month, Los Angeles Angels pitching coach Mickey Callaway was suspended over allegations of inappropriate behavior by five women in sports media.
The Jays “cut all ties” with the player
In a statement, the Blue Jays supported the MLB decision.
“The Blue Jays sever all ties with Alomar, with immediate effect, [and] are committed to promoting respect and fairness in baseball and are taking further action by removing Alomar from the Premier League and winning its banner at Rogers Center. “
The statement said the team salutes “the courage shown by the person who bravely stepped forward.”
Alomar responded with a statement on Twitter, saying “with the current social climate [he understands] why Major League Baseball took the position they have. “
“I am disappointed, surprised and overwhelmed by the news today,” he said. “I hope this allegation can be heard in a place that allows me to respond directly to the charge.”
“I will continue to spend my time helping children achieve their baseball dreams. I will not comment further at this time.”
MLB has said it will also not provide additional details to respect the individual’s privacy and confidentiality.
The plaque remains in Cooperstown
The National Baseball Hall of Fame said it was “shocked and saddened” but that Alomar’s plaque would remain on display to recognize his achievements in baseball.
“When elected to the Hall of Fame by the Baseball Writers’ Association of America in the Class of 2011, Alomar was an eligible candidate in good standing. His plaque will remain on display in the Hall of Fame in recognition of his accomplishments in the game, and his consecration reflects his eligibility and the views of BBWAA voters at that time. ”
Alomar is 12 times a star and has received 10 Gold Glove Awards. He became the first Toronto Blue Jays player to be inducted into the Hall of Fame after spending five seasons with the team, including back-to-back World Series victories in 1992 and 1993.
He first signed with San Diego, but also played for Baltimore, Cleveland, New York Mets, Chicago and Arizona.